Friday, August 8, 2014

A Journey of A Thousand Miles...

So, as most of you reading this know, my husband Matt and I have decided to adopt! This is something we have been considering for a while, but we felt like now was the right time to step up and pursue it. At this point, we have found the agency that we will be going with and attended our first required class last night, as well as getting the last few things for our application to get the process started. I liken the paperwork to a cross between home mortgage paperwork and a resume for a job application. Lots of financial and personal info as well as work, living, and overall history. I'm hoping that we have all of the information that they could possibly need...or at least have the missing info be something trivial and easy to obtain.

We have already attended an orientation session with this company, as well as another agency, and talked to numerous people who are either actively in the adoption process or have already adopted. Lots of info gathered, lots of discussions...this wasn't something we just jumped into. I'm really liking Pathways, the agency that we decided to go with. We know that throughout this process, we are going to have to essentially live in a fish bowl, so we really wanted to make sure that we were comfortable with the people who were going to be on the outside looking in.

I just have to say that I am LOVING the overwhelming support that we have gotten from family and friends. Even though we've been talking about it for a while, it is still hard to predict people's reactions to announcements like this. So thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for all of the love and support.

We will get into more specifics of the process, paperwork, decision-making, and such in later posts, as there is a TON of information to be shared and discussed. Feel free to comment with any questions concerns, quips, puns, etc. :-)

Getting Really Excited!!!!

-Lindsay

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS! I especially like that ya'll have decided to adopt an extra special kid. Ya'll will be awesome parents! I may be out of the loop with this but will this be a strictly US adoption or are ya'll exploring adopting abroad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We are doing domestic adoption. International adoption is VERY expensive and has a whole other set of regulations and a longer timeframe.

    ReplyDelete